나눔의 화요일 Giving Tuesday

by admin posted Nov 27, 2018
?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

크게 작게 위로 아래로 댓글로 가기 인쇄

아침마다 쏟아지는 이메일을 오늘은 지우지 않고 모처럼 하나씩 열어보았다. “Giving Tuesday”라는 이름으로 donation을 요청하는 많은 메일이 눈에 들어왔다. 오늘은 미국이 “Giving Tuesday”라는 이름으로 도네이션을 요청하는 날인가보다. Holiday가 되면 미국이 얼마나 상업화되어 있는지를 느끼게 되는데, 도네이션 요청도 그런 패턴에서 보게 된다는 점이 나를 잠깐 우울하게 했다. Today, I spent time going through each email in my inbox instead of deleting many. I found many emails asking for donations for “Giving Tuesday.” It’s times like these when I feel gloomy about the fact that holidays are commercialized in the US.

하지만 꼭 그렇게 볼 일만은 아닌 것 같다. 미국은 자본주의가 매우 발달한 나라다. 자본주의의 이면에는 어두운 면도 적지 않다. 하지만 이렇게 날을 정해서 도네이션을 요청하고, 누군가를 돕기 위해 더 홍보하는 모습에서 균형을 맞춰가려는 애씀을 본다. 미국이 전보다 나눔에  인색해져 간다고 하지만, 여전히 그들의 넉넉함이 우리보다 크다. 부러워하지 않을 수 없다. 우리는 성공에 대한 목마름이 크고, 그로 인해 절망감도 크다. “주는 것이 받는 것보다 복되다”는 주의 말씀은 우리에게 여전히 크게 소리친다. 아직도 배울 것이 많은 이웃과 함께 산다. 이런 감사로 오늘을 시작한다. But I also think that we don’t have to look at it that way. The United States had a very developed capitalist system. There is a very dark side to capitalism. Even though the United States is said to be close to their money, I feel still envious of their tradition of donation. I think we are thirsty for our success and also feel big sense of desperation. The Word of the Lord, “It is more blessed to give than to receive,” speak to me. Even now we live with our neighbors to give us many lessons. I am starting today with this thanksgiving.

Articles

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10